Please scroll to the bottom of this page for the link to submit your artwork.
Please read contest guidelines below before submitting your art.
PURPOSE OF CONTEST
This Summer KGA is joining the #WeCanDoThis Campaign to let our community know that getting vaccinated is an important way to keep our families and communities healthy and resilient. The COVID-19 vaccine is safe, effective, free and is now available for everyone in the U.S. ages 12 years old and up!
The COVID-19 vaccine is proven to be effective in slowing the spread and reducing hospitalizations and deaths due to the virus. All FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccines prevent nearly 100% of hospitalizations and death due to COVID-19.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, there have been more than 29 million known cases and over 534,000 deaths from COVID-19 in the United States, as of March 28, 2021.
Many people who face chronic health conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma are more vulnerable as are people who might not have stable housing or who cannot safely quarantine. Such health conditions are more common in poor communities of color, including our Southeast Asian community.
According to survey results from the Cambodian Advocacy Collaborative in Long Beach, 1 out of 3 participants who completed a survey reported having “poor to moderate health”. 28% of participants reported having 2 or more health conditions. The top five health conditions reported include: diabetes, arthritis, depression, hypertension, and PTSD.
As an organization whose mission is to develop the leadership of Southeast Asian women and youth, we know that young people play a critical role in informing their families about critical issues that impact our health, lives and future.
Getting vaccinated is one way to make sure our communities can have more opportunities to stay healthy and thrive so that together we can continue to build a just world free of oppression for all.
CALL FOR ENTRIES
Through sharing art work and your vision for your community, we hope to inspire other young leaders and those who follow us on social media to get the COVID-19 vaccine and to inform their family, friends and community to do the same!
We are looking for art that will inspire and educate Southeast Asian and communities of color who are not yet vaccinated and might need more information to feel confident about getting vaccinated!
WHO CAN SUBMIT & QUALIFY TO WIN A PRIZE
- KGA members
- KGA alumni (any age)
- Community members who live in Long Beach or LA County (ages 12-24)
Your artwork must express one of the following:
- What you love about, hope for, and or envision for your SEA / BIPOC community
- How did you care for or show leadership within your family & community during the pandemic
- What self-determination means to you, your family, and/ or community
- One fact you want people to know about the vaccine.
(using the facts listed on www.vaccines.gov)
- Your experience getting vaccinated
- Community care
- Community power
- Healing & intergenerational healing
Your artwork must include a caption that explains:
- What your artwork is about and why you chose to create this, and
- Why is getting vaccinated important to you, your family and or community, and
- A sentence that uses the phrase “We can do this”
- Visual Art
- Ex: Digital art, hand-drawn, collages, paintings, photography
- Files accepted
- .png, .jpg
- We will not be accepting video files at this time
- By or before 11:59 PM on Sunday, August 1, 2021
- Be sure your artwork meets the requirements listed above
BY SUBMITTING TO THIS ART CONTEST YOU AGREE THAT
- Your artwork is your own original work
- KGA and #WeCanDoIt Campaign can use and share your artwork to promote COVID-19 vaccination education and outreach during the duration of the art contest and after
- KGA can include additional information on your caption, or attach an additional slide on social media to help promote COVID-19 vaccination and education, and future work that highlights our work with community members like you
- If you are under age 18, your parent or guardian agrees to your participation in this contest
- You have read and understood art contest guidelines and use of your artwork
KGA will announce the winners on August 6th
- Winners will receive the following:
- 1st prize: $300
- 2nd prize: $200
- 3rd prize: $100
- One submission per person
- Group submissions that win will be awarded a prize for that submission (not a prize per person who submitted)
- KGA will use the social media handle you provide to share and amplify your work (please notify us if you do not want us to share your social media handle. We would refer to you by your first name)
Vaccines are free and available for everyone age 12 and older – regardless of immigration status or health insurance status. You have three ways to find vaccines near you:
- Go to vaccines.gov
- Text your ZIP code to 438829
- Call 1-800-232-0233
#WeCanDoThis #LikeALotusWeRise #WeLBC
For more information on the art contest, please write to us at email@example.com
* * *
LINK TO SUBMIT ART WORK