Strategic Plan Youth Focus Groups are set for 2020!
More info coming soon.
Step Into Long Beach:
Exposing how Cambodian American Youth are Under Resourced, Over Policed & Fighting Back!
Starting in January 2010, KGA members collected surveys from about 500 peers as part of our Participatory Action Research (PAR). That summer KGA partnered with UCLA to analyze the results, recording Khmer experiences and organizing them into tangible facts that can be used to identify community needs and build momentum for change. Our preliminary research results revealed injustices in the areas of Reproductive Justice, Immigrant & Refugee Rights, and Health & Safety. In our 2011 Summer Organizing Institute, KGA members and staff used those results along with feedback from community listening sessions held in the spring to create a five-point platform that was the basis of our Wellness Center Campaign, Youth at the C.O.R.E (Creating Opportunities & Resources for Empowerment).
Youth Wellness Platform
YOUth at the C.O.R.E
Creating Opportunities & Resources for Empowerment
Based off our action research KGA members developed a platform that demands that all young people’s wellness gets placed at the center of decisions, and the creation of resources and opportunities in Long Beach.
1. WE WANT CULTURALLY RELEVANT EDUCATION that reflects our community’s history, diversity, and strengths (this includes ethnic studies, history, language, food & dance).
2. WE WANT AN ENCOURAGING AND POSITIVE COLLEGE AND 21ST CENTURY CAREER PREP environment for all students.
3. WE WANT TO BE TREATED WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT in schools and in our community (regardless of our age, race/ethnicity, or immigration status).
4. WE WANT COMPREHENSIVE INFORMATION AND ACCESS TO SERVICES in our community about our bodies, genders, sexualities, relationships, and reproductive health (regardless of our age, sex, gender, or sexual orientation)
5. WE WANT ALL FAMILIES TO BE ABLE TO LIVE SUSTAINABLY with access to economic opportunities, education, affordable housing, and healthcare.